Friday, August 11, 2006

ITALIANESQUE MEATLOAF

One day, I had a Provolone cheese leftover that I wanted to put in good use, so I came up with this totally invented recipe...

As this cheese is Italian, I decided to let myself get inspired by this wonderful country in order to come up with a meatloaf that would literally knock my socks off (you all know how obsessed I am by tasty and spicy foods)!

The final result was extremely satisfying and my wannabe "Italian Meatloaf" met a considerable success at our table. We loved it!

This "meatloaf" was mind-blowingly tasty and spiced up just in the right way (not too much, but just enough); our tastebuds were delighted by such a harmonious symphony of flavors... I must say that this "creation" had the right effect on us as it brought a smirk of pleasure on our faces and glitter in ours eyes!!!

Next time I want to eat something that makes me feel happy like a king, then my choice will definitely be directed towards this brilliant recipe that has the power to act like medicine!...

As some would say, this meatloaf had it's mojo working on me!!!

Serves 4 or makes two meals for 2 hungry people


Ingredients:
500g Ground beef
1 Onion, finely chopped
2 Cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 Tsp Red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
10 Leaves basil, finely chopped

1 Tbs Caster sugar
1 Tsp Paprika powder
2 Tsp Tomato puree
1 Tbs Ketchup
2 Tsp Fishsauce
Pepper, to taste
Salt, to taste (not too much though as the cheese is already salty)
1 Egg
3 Tbs Fine wheat semolina
1 Matzah
1/2 Glass milk
1 Cup Provolone picante cheese, finely grated

Method:
1. In your food processor, reduce the Matzah to flour.
2. Let this "flour" soak in the milk, about 1 hour until you get a kind of thick paste.
3. Preheat the oven to 200°C (370°F).
3. Mix all ingredients together.
4. Knead the ground meat with your hands for about 5 minutes.
5. Shape the meatloaf so that it looks like a log.
6. Place it into a greased baking dish.
7. Bake for approximately one hour or until it is cooked through.
8. Serve warm.

Remarks:
If you don't have Matzah, then use stale bread, coarsly ground bread crumbs or crackers.
Instead of fishsauce, you can use 3/4 Tsp anchovy paste.
Don't overbake this meatloaf. It should still be humid and soft when served.
This meatloaf can be eaten either warm or cold (leftover).

Serving suggestions:
Slice the meatloaf and serve it with "Arroz Brasileiro" (see recipe).

4 comments:

  1. Je m'invite ....!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your addition of provolone into the meatloaf. Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds so good. I am a horrible meatloaf maker, I don't know why. I just never like mine. I'll have to give yours a try!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. COLETTE: Tu es la bienvenue!!!

    MARY: Thanks, Mary!...

    ROSA: Thanks, Rosa! Well, I hope that this recipe will help! Please do tell me how it tastes and if you liked it (a post on your blog would be great)...

    ReplyDelete