Wednesday, January 18, 2006

POTATO CRISPS

I always thought potato crisps were better when bought as I belived that it was a kind of food that could only be produced properly in a factory way.

Anyhow, a few months ago, I discovered that I was totally wrong!...


Ok, maybe it’s easier to open a packet of industrial crisps, but nothing can exactly compare with what is homemade with love and dedication! Not only are you free to choose the quality of the ingredients you use, but you are also free to spice those crisp with whichever seasoning you want to have…

I was really bluffed by the end result which was way beyond my expectations. The crisps were simply great looking and fine tasting, thus proving that your common packet crisps has nothing more to offer!

So, I warmly recommend you to try making your crisps the next time you plan to offer apetizers, because your crisps will be a real highlight!!!

Ingredients:
Potatos, peeled
Curry powder
Salt
1/2 -1l Peanut oil


Method:
1. Cut the potatos in very thin slices.
2. Wash them in cold water, so that the starch is eliminated.
3. Strain and absorb the leftover water with a towel.
4. Heat the oil until it’s very hot.
5. Lower the heat and plunge the slices in the hot oil. Stir continuously so that they don’t stick together.
6. Once the slices are golden, get the crisps out with the help of a skimming laddle.
7. Strain and drain on absorbant paper.
8. Then, place the crisps in a plastic container and add the salt and curry powder.
9. Gently shake the bag in order to cover each crisp with the spices.

Remarks:
Be careful to fry the potato slices only once the oil is hot, otherwise they’ll be soggy with oil.

Serving suggestions:
You can sin at any time, 'cause nobody will blame you for gobbling them, since they are homemade crisps!!!

(Potato Crisps -Pic by Rosa www.rosas-yummy-yums.blogspot.com)
(Curry Powder -Pic
www.hormel.com)

16 comments:

  1. I've never tried with curry. I use to make the same think with paprika

    ReplyDelete
  2. Papilles Et pupilles: You should try them with curry, it's super fine!

    Elvira: Merci!

    ReplyDelete
  3. your potato crisps look good.. I have yet to try making these at home, cos' like u say - it's just too easy to get them out of a packet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Eatzycath,
    Thanks!
    Yeah, try those crisps at home and you'll be delighted by the result...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rosa,

    These look incredible! I can almost taste them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rosa,
    These looks Realy very good !
    thank you ! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've tried lots of times to make my own crisps, but I just can't seem to get them to crisp properly. They come out mostly soft (like a really thin chip/french fry) or overcooked (but definitely crisp).

    How can I get them to go crisp without overcooking them?

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have been tagged. Please see my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. heya i have a great way of making crisps
    you take baking potatoes and you take the skin of them then you cut them in to very thin slices then you take some grease proof paper and fold it into a consteiner then put the crisos on the constiner and put themub the microwave for 2 mins on high.You can try with flavours to i.e. add salt for ready salted or salt and vingear for salt and vinegar.

    ReplyDelete
  10. can you use any oil ?
    say olive oil ?

    ReplyDelete
  11. ANONYMOUS: Thanks fopr sharing your recipe with me!

    ANYNYMOUS: Yes, as long as it resists hot temperatures! Olive oil is ok...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dammit, i just tried making some crisps with oil. I sliced them real thin and then dropped them in the oil, I had the same problem, the crisp ones were overdone and tasted burnt, but the others were mainly floppy , or a bit over done around the edge and a bit soggy in the middle. I left the oil on for aaaaggggeesss to get reallllyyy hot, no joy :(

    Am going to try the microwave method, but I tested it quickyl on some of the slices I had and didn't work so great? Maybe will work better with the paper etc.

    ReplyDelete
  13. TOM: I'm sorry to hear that! I can understand that you feel frustrated :-(!

    I guess that the slices were not all the same thickness and the oil wasn't always hot enough... Sometimes, if you cook too many potatoes slices at the same time, it will bring the temperature of the oil down and will result in soggy crisps. Also, if the potatoes are too floury or waxy, you'll get soggy crisps. I hope I've been able to help you a little...

    Good luck with the microwaved version!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nita here,
    I've made a few batches now, so I think I've eliminated the thinks that go wrong
    Use a food processor to slice the crisps very fine and uniformly
    wash the lices under running cold water.
    dry them carefully with a clean kitchen towel to get as much water out as you can
    heat up the oil until it is really hot.I use sunflower oil in a chip pan. cook just a few slices at a time
    keep the oil temperature constant.

    PLEASE NOTE:. YOU ARE DEALING WITH VERY HOT OIL, THIS NOT A FUN ACTIVITY FOR UNSUPERVISED CHILDREN, ABSENT MINDED STUDENTS, OR WHEN YOUVE HAD A DRINK OR TWO OR ARE TRYING TO MULTI TASK. TAKE CARE AND ENJOY!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. NITA: Thanks for the helpful tips! Cheers, Rosa.

    ReplyDelete